Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Where do you think we go when we die?

I happened accross an interesting forum this morning, asking "Where do you think we go when we die?" I responded after reading the first page or so of responses with the following:
The fact that the question troubles all humankind so deeply suggests that it is not a cultural, geographical or age related question. It is born out of who we are and where we come from. I as an engineer and a student of nature cannot believe that things got better and better without any train wrecks until the amoeba that crawled out of the primordial ooze finally became a human. The idea of an intelligent creator appeals to me and I find it to be consistent with all that I see around me.

The Bible claims to be the self revelation of that creator to his creation and as has been mentioned above, specifies that there are two eternal dwelling places, to one of which every person will eventually go. It also lays out a history of how this came to be and a path to get to heaven. Heaven is desireable to me because it is "good". Therfore, if everyone gets in, including the Hitlers... it doesn't seem like where I want to be.

I understand that the idea of reincarnation or just ceasing to exist is desireable at some level, because it takes away eternal responsability for your actions and decisions... but again I cannot fathom that it is possible to live like I want without consequence.

THEREFORE, I believe that everyone will go either to heaven or to hell and I hope that you will pursue heaven... I'd love to meet you there.

What do YOU think?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

In some ways I believe that what makes Hell Hell is the absence of God and His presence. For now, during this age of grace, we see His handiwork in the world around us, in the sunsets, in the creation. But imagine a place that is void of the fingerprints of God, and no matter how hard you look you cannot find Him. It's hard to even fathom the dispair and depression in that kind of place. Hell won't be hell IMO because of fire or pain etc., but it will be Hell because the Creator will be no where to be found. The absence of Him will make it Hell.

Steve's Brother said...

I couldn't agree more, yet I regret that I didn't think of it that way. It's interesting to take the "what is Hell" question as a way of answering the question "What is heaven... very insightful!